Play-Based and Inquiry-Based Learning
The Bilingual Early Years programme at HAIS aims to develop physical, emotional and social skills along with expressive art and design skills to prepare children for pre-primary grades. Students are taught through play and structured lessons incorporating the necessary life skills appropriate to their age.
The Early Years programme ensures a close connection between Playgroup and Kindergarten age groups. The Bilingual programme presents a comprehensive, integrated, child-centred educational perspective through play-based and inquiry-based learning. It helps students to develop academic skills in numeracy and literacy and encourages them to ask questions and demonstrate their enthusiasm for learning. The programme focuses on global perspectives and incorporates Vietnamese cultural and linguistic values. These methods are led by a team of dedicated Vietnamese and native English teachers with a high level of expertise and experience teaching specifically for bilingual students, allowing them to practice and learn both languages simultaneously without losing their mother tongue.
Areas of Learning within the Bilingual Programme
Personal, social, emotional development
- Making Relationships
- Self-Confidence and Self-Awareness
- Managing Feelings and Behaviour
- Gross Motor Skills
- Fine Motor Skills
- Health and Self-Care
Understanding the world
- People and Communities: Showing an interest in their own lives and in the lives of family members.
- The World: They show care and concern for living things and the environment.
- Technology: Recognising that a range of technology is used in places such as homes and schools.
- Shape and Colour
- Space and Comparison
Expressive arts & design
- Exploring and Using Media and Materials: Joining in with dancing and ring games and can sing a few familiar songs. They can use and explore a variety of materials, such as colours, textures and tools.
- Being Imaginative: Engaging in imaginative role-play and using readily available resources to create props to support this.
Communication and language
Vietnamese communication and language:
- Listening, Understanding and Attention
English as a second language:
- Use of Language
- Speaking and Listening